Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Cost of Running




Running can get expensive. I have definitely spent quite a bit on running since I restarted my running career a decade ago. My beautiful wife is also a runner, so between the two of us our running expenses can get quite high. If you’re interested in some estimates of how much running may cost in a lifetime, I highly recommend the Runner’s World article, “How Much Does Running Cost Over a Lifetime?

Before I go more into all the various costs associated with running, let me say a few quick things. I don’t regret a penny I spent, other than maybe some entries for races I didn’t enjoy. Running has helped keep me healthy, sane, and I’ve met lots of people and made several friends through the sport.

Now, let’s get into the costs. This will be different for each different runner, but here are how the costs break down for me:

1. Running shoes

2. Physical therapy/doctor’s visits

3. Race entries

4. Food

5. Running Clothes

You could also add one other cost associated with running: time. I can’t find the article, but a few years back I read an article that talked about how running takes time and that time spent could be spent making money. While there are some scenarios where this may be the case on a regular basis, the only one I see playing out for more than a few is taking unpaid time off to do a race.

In my next few posts I’ll look at each of these costs and how to bring these costs down.

Stay tuned.

No comments: