Monday, December 16, 2019

Cost of Running: Clothes


I put this as the cheapest one on my list of the costs of running, but honestly you can spend quite a bit on running clothes, especially initially. Running socks, shorts, pants, shirts, jackets, and shirts can all set you back, but they don’t need to break the bank. Plus, if you take care of them, running clothes last a long time, so while the initial cost may be high, the average yearly cost of clothes can be pretty reasonable.

Here are some tips for saving money on running clothes.

1. Don't buy everything brand name.
Buying brand name clothing from a running store is fine, but if you're new to running or your wardrobe needs replenishing, it's OK to get some store brand gear. I had a few pairs of Target tech shorts over the years, and they worked fine. I still have a sleeveless running shirt from Target that's lasted years. Honestly, I've had Target shorts last longer than some of the brand name clothes I've had.
2. Watch for sales.
Look for running jackets and pants toward the end of winter when they go on sale. Watch for sales on gear near big events. Running stores sometimes host packet pickup for races and offer promotions like 10% off clothing and shoe purchases.
3. Check the clearance rack.
The best running jacket I own came from a clearance rack in the back of a running store. I can't remember the exact discount, but it was 50% off or more.
The nice thing about running clothes is that they last a while -- especially compared to shoes. I think my newest pair of running shorts in my rotation is about four years old, and since I have so many race shirts, I probably haven't bought a running shirt in about a decade (although one could argue that paying for a race registration includes paying for a shirt).

This post concludes my list of the costs of running, but guess what? There'll be a bonus post on one more piece of running gear that you may want to spend money on as a runner.

Stay tuned.

No comments: