Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Cost of Running: Running Shoes




In my post about the costs of running, I mentioned shoes as one of the main culprits of the cost of running.

It’s interesting how many brands of running shoes there are and how many models there are within those brands. In the ten years since I restarted my running career, I’ve ran in K-Swiss, Hoka, New Balance, Asics, Nike, Newton, Brooks, Mizuno, Altra, and Saucony, and in a most of those brands I’ve run in at least two different models.

I’ve run in so many different brands and so many different models because I’ve run a lot of miles. A few years back, I was running around fifty-miles-a-week. Your average running shoe is pretty durable if it gets to 500 miles before it needs replacing (three to five hundred is what you can expect depending on your weight and running conditions). So, if my shoes were making it the full 500 miles, I’d need a new pair every ten weeks. 

For quite a while, I worked at The Running Room and got a discount on shoes, but for the average runner a shoe will cost $100 - $160 brand new. At $100 a pair every ten weeks, you’re looking at about $500 for a year’s worth of running shoes.

There are, however, a few ways to cut down the costs:

1. Join a running club

Many running stores give a discount to running club members. I’m part of the MDRA, and I get a discount at several running stores in the Twin Cities. I highly recommend the MDRA because not only do you get a discount, but you also get several free or discounted races and a magazine that occasionally features articles by yours truly.

2. Ask for last year’s model

Often times a shoe store has the previous year’s model of a shoe for significantly less than the new one.

3. Shop online: with some caveats.

You can save at a couple websites like,  Road Runner Sports and Zappos along with some retailers like REI. However, keep a couple things in mind. First, it’s not cool to go into your local running store and get the expertise of an employee to help you pick a shoe, then leave the store and buy the shoe online. Pay the extra $10. Running stores usually do things like free group runs or speakers, and they support the local economy. Thing number two: Limit your online purchases to shoes you’ve worn in the past. Don’t buy something you’ve never run in before.

4. Get a part-time job at a running store..
I did this for several years. If you can get a part-time gig at a running store,  not only will you have a little extra money, you also will get a discount on shoes. 

5. My least favorite: run less

For some this might be a godsend: you don’t have to run a ton to stay in shape. Twenty - forty minutes a day four to five days a week is enough to stay healthy. Fewer miles on your shoes means buying fewer shoes. 

Stay tuned to my next post on saving money on running.

No comments: