Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Cost of Running: Races



I have run a ton of races. I’ve run 20 marathons/ultramarathons, dozens of half marathons, along with a good number of 5Ks and 10Ks. Though I was a pacer at some of these races, in which case they were free, I paid for most of those races.

Races range a fair amount in price, but let’s say the average to be around $60 a race. If you do just 10 races a year, that comes to $600.

Saving on races is probably the easiest thing to save money on as a runner. Here are a few simple tips:

1. Race less.

I know this is a bummer, but if you want to save money on races, the easiest way is to race less. I race way less than when I first restarted my running career. Rather than running a race every month or so, I’ve only been doing a couple a year. You can save money by picking the races you think you will most enjoy and running those, then forgetting about the ones that might not be as fun.

2. Register early.

The earlier you register for race, the cheaper the registration fee. Plan out your training well in advance, so you can register as early as possible for each race.

3. Think in terms of value. 

That 5K you want to run is only $40, and there’s another one on the horizon that is only $50. Run several 5Ks per year,  however, and you could be spending a lot of money by the end of the year. Those two 5K’s come with an average cost of about $15 per mile. A $100 marathon registration would cost about $3.81 per mile. If you’re really want to race, consider running a half marathon or two and maybe a marathon or two to get more bang for your buck. If you really enjoy 5Ks and 10Ks, aim for a couple per year rather than every other weekend.

4. Join a running club.

I can’t say enough about MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association). Not only does being an MDRA member come with discounts to races (and running stores), it also has several free races throughout the year for members. 

5. Find cheap or free races

Sometimes there are community races that are cheap. And, there are even free races. If you’re in the Twin Cities, come to Eagan and run the Eagan parkrun 5K, a free race that takes place every Saturday. Depending on where you live, there may be a parkrun close to you.

Of course there’s always the options to forgo races altogether. Those who can just go out and run a few miles every day are awesome. I can’t. I need a race or two on the horizon to train for, otherwise I get lazy and run less and less.

Stay tuned for the next post on the cost of running.

No comments: