Friday, December 20, 2019

Book Reviews


Sometimes I get ideas for blog posts and throw up a post or two, then don't really follow through. I've been meaning to write some book reviews, but have been dragging my feet. I've read and listened to a good number of books in the past couple years, so I thought it would be good to actually share some.

If you're an avid reader and/or looking for something to listen to on your run besides podcasts or music, coming up I will be sharing some books I've enjoyed.

Before I do, however, I want to share with you how I listen to books on the run and what types of books I listen to and why.

So here's the how: My library offers three apps for audiobooks, and checking out books is free. Your library may offer one or more of them as well, so here they are:


With three of these apps, I've been able to find quite a few books to listen to. The only downside I've found is that sometimes these apps offer the first book or two in a series, but then the others are not offered. After this happened to me on about four different series, I ended up getting a subscription to Audible for a while. For me it was worth it, but since we've been working on saving some money, I'm putting a pause on the subscription and going back to free books from the library.

When I listen to books on the run, I generally stick to a couple genres. First, I like fantasy novels--especially young adult and children's fantasy novels, though I did get hooked on an adult series similar to "Game of Thrones."

I like fantasy novels because if they're well-written they draw me in and make time fly when I'm running. I like the feeling of being immersed in an alternate world, and that transportation is especially nice when I've been doing a lot of long runs by myself and would like time to go by a little quicker.

Another genre I enjoy is mystery. I used to not be big into mystery novels, but after getting drawn into a series and listening to the whole thing, I started to seek out other mystery series. Mysteries, like fantasy, can really make time fly. Besides that, they keep my mind active as I work with the characters to try and solve the mystery.

Coming up, I've committed myself to write reviews of several series. I hope those reviews lead you to a book or two you enjoy.

No comments: