Saturday, January 6, 2018

2018: It's Goal Time


The last few years have not been conducive to meeting my running goals. Factors in and out of my control have led me to miss most of my goals. Last year I decided to go with a percentage system of meeting my goals rather than simple a simple yes or no, so that made me feel a little better.

This year, however, I'm going to put the majority of my goals in the all in my control camp. These goals will happen if I make them happen. Whereas PRs or time goals or mileage goals on races can come up short due to injury or weather, my first several goals will be in my hands. On to the goals:

Goal  1:
Average at least one blog post a week. Between the blog I (mostly) retired, tcruncoach.blogspot.com, and this blog, I averaged over 52 blog posts 2010 - 2013, and 2015 - 2016. In 2017 I only got in 40, so I'm hoping at least twelve more this year.

Goal 2:
Average two days per week doing strength/cross training for my glutes/core/etc. With two lower leg injuries, one that's been hanging around for over nine months now, I'm definitely going to be running fewer days per week and lower mileage, so I want to take to opportunity to do some supplemental exercises. Who knows? I lifted weights a lot in high school and stayed pretty injury-free, so maybe I'll surprise myself and run some faster times on less mileage.

Goal 3:
Submit two stories to Runner's World. I've already got one almost finished, which means I just need an idea for the next one. I'm planning on both being rejected, but also hoping that at least one gets a couple words on why it was rejected (none of the others I've submitted has).

Goal 4:
Set a PR in the 50K.

Goal 5:
Complete a 50 mile race. I have some friends doing the Minnesota Voyageur 50 Mile, so I think I'm going to run that one.

Goal 6:
Break 17 minutes in the 5K. The 50 mile race is July 28, so that means I have a good amount of time to recover and then aim for some fast 5K races during the fall racing season.

That's it for this year! I'm optimistic about meeting all my goals. We'll see what happens!

Run well.

No comments: