Sunday, December 31, 2017

Goals for 2017: Results


This year I decided to set only three goals and judge them by a percentage met rather than a simple yes or no. Unfortunately, I can't check a pure yes in any of them, though a lot of that had to do with mitigating circumstances.

Here's the goals, results, and commentary:

Goal 1:
Set a PR at the marathon distance.
  • This one was the most out of my control. My PR is 2:50:28, and I made two attempts at setting a new one this year.
  • In June, I raced Grandma's Marathon. While training for the race, I was dealing with some sort of gastrointestinal issue that had me running about half the mileage of what I'd normally run. I didn't come close to a PR, running a 3:04:26.
  • In October I took another shot at the Milwaukee Marathon. After the course was measured and marked incorrectly last year, the race organizers assured participants that it would be accurate this year. It was not. 
    • The course ended up being 0.8 miles short. Barring something strange happening, I would have almost definitely run a PR, running the 25.4 miles in 2:45:03. 
    • I was feeling great at that point, hadn't hit the wall at all, and was speeding up. My last few miles were under 6:20, giving me a big cushion for a PR.
    • If I had just maintained my average pace overall pace for the 0.8 miles it was short, I would have finished right around 2:50:15 -- a 23 second PR. 
  • Alas, two things totally out of my control led me to not meet this goal. There's two ways I could calculate this by percentages. At Milwaukee I ran a PR for 25.4 miles, putting me at 97% of a marathon, and at Grandma's I ran 94% of my marathon PR time.
  • I'll go with the Milwaukee time and say I met 97% of my goal this year.
Goal 2: Break 17 minutes in the 5K.
  • My first try at this goal ended in 17:38, so I was feeling pretty confident when I ran a 17:14 on a much hillier course.
  • Unfortunately, that was as close as I got. Due to being in the thick of marathon training for most of the fall, two lower leg injuries and recovering from the Milwaukee Marathon, I didn't get a chance to give this goal my best effort.
  • So, my 17:14 means I met my goal 96%.

Goal 3:
Set a new indoor mile PR.
  • I only took one try at this goal, and I ran a 4:55. I was going to take another shot at it this December, but my lower leg injuries kept me from racing.
  • For only racing the mile once, I'm pretty happy I made it to 99% of my goal.
Though I didn't meet any of these goals 100%, considering the outside factors I had to deal with, I'm pretty happy with how my year of running went. Overall, I was 97.3% of the way to meeting my goals.

Did you have goals this year, and if so, what were they? How'd you do at meeting them?

No comments: