Thursday, December 28, 2017

C Tolle Run Podcast


With winter in full swing, lots of us spend some extra time indoors. Snow, darkness, and cold temperatures often has us spending more time on the treadmill. I usually listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts to make treadmill runs go by faster since a twenty minute run often feels like running an hour outside.

I'll be posting about some other podcasts in the next few days, but first I wanted to feature Minnesota Olympian Carrie Tollefson's podcast. Carrie worked on the webshow "C Tolle Run" for years, and the show has now shifted to a podcast format.

For the most recent episodes and to subscribe on iTunes, go to: C Tolle Run - Podcasts

I had the pleasure of asking Carrie some questions over email. This conversation has been edited for length and clarity:


What factors led you to switch from the videos to the podcast format?

We loved doing the video episodes, but felt it was time to try something new. The longer format interviews allow us to get to know our subjects better, and podcasts are so easy for people to listen to in the car, while they are making dinner, or working out! We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our listeners.

What are some things that have been rewarding when working on the podcast?

I think people are way more open on the podcast. Once the red light goes on with the camera, people usually freeze, and with the podcast it is just us chatting! Everyone has really opened up and let us into their world, especially on the running podcasts. People tend to forget we are recording and they just chat. Conversations have been very authentic and real, and I just love that.

What are some challenges you've faced on the podcast?

Scheduling can be tricky, but we make it work! We love doing the interviews on-the-run, but sometimes we have noise issues if we’re running near traffic or a construction site and the mics will pick that up.

What have been some of your favorite moments/interviews?

Oh that is a tough one! I really and genuinely love every interview. I feel like everyone has a story of how they Get After Life, and that is what our goal at C Tolle Run is -- to be inspired by whoever is on the other end and to hear how others make it happen. Life is hard, busy, fun, motivating, scary, happy and the list goes on and on. Hearing from others is what I find so rewarding. Some days I wake up and wonder how I will get it all done, and other days I am ready to tackle whatever is thrown my way. I have always surrounded myself with like minded, goal driven people, and those are the people I want on my show.

If I have to chose a couple of episodes I would say Gabe Grunewald's (episode link) and Justin Grunewald's (episode link) on the run episodes. Very open and honest about their life, marriage, running, and fight to overcome cancer again. To be able hear their own perspectives in their individual interviews was very real and honest. I am just so thankful running has given us all so much and especially the support that this community gives is amazing.

Tell me about the editing and production side of podcasting:

Well that is one thing I don't do for C Tolle Run. Julie handles the production and Tim handles the editing. I am so thankful to have their help and guidance and I think we make a really good team! There are times when I give my input and try give my creative ideas, but those two really are the reason we have a podcast. I just get to be the lucky one on the mic.




Personally, I love this podcast. Carrie and her guests talk running, but they also talk life. Listening to the podcast is a lot like going on a run with training partners. Like Carrie said, her guests open up to her, and I've also noticed how she opens up to her guests.

Episodes of C Tolle Run can be humorous, informative, sad, and poignant. As of this writing, C Tolle Run is on its 50th episode, so if you haven't been listening, you have plenty of episodes to choose from. I found out about this podcast only recently. I've been listening to the oldest and the most recent episodes, so I haven't heard any of the episodes in between. A few of my favorites so far have been:
I'm excited to continue catching up on episodes while I do housework and as I continue my indoor workouts. I'm looking forward to some notable guest including Amy Cragg, Jared Ward, Jordan Hasay, Sara Hall, and Paula Radcliffe just to name a few. Her guest lineup looks like a "who's who" in the American running scene.

Are you listening to any podcasts this winter, and if so, what are they? If not, what do you do to pass the time when you're working out indoors?

No comments: