Friday, December 28, 2018

Slumps


Ever been in a slump? I’ve been stuck in one for a while. Really it’s been two slumps—sleeping too much and rudderless running.

The rudderless running isn’t too bad since I don’t need to start a real training plan until February, but I’m still running less than I want to. Part of it has been a time thing, but part of it has been a lack of motivation. 

The sleep thing has been more of a bother. Since.I made a medication change last July, sleeping too much has been a problem. If I let myself, I’ll sleep 10+ hours a night.

I should be able to get past my sleep slump. Once I’m awake for an hour or so on the days when I do force myself out of bed, I usually feel fine. Still, it’s so easy to hit snooze and sleep as late as I possibly can to get to work on time.

I’m hoping that a visit to the nurse practioner that manages my medications will mean I can reduce the dose of one of my drugs. I think that’ll make a difference and make it easier to get up in the morning.

As for running, I’m going to set myself up a training schedule, even though I’m not training for anything in particular. I don’t do great running just for running’s sake, so setting a goal of being as fit as possible to run with the track athletes I help coach in the spring would be a good start.

What do you do when you experience a slump? What gets you out if it? I’d love to hear from you.

No comments: