Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Improving Mental Health - Jumping to Conclusions: Mind Reading


This post is part of a series of cognitive distortions I've dealt with and how changing them helps improve my mental health. Of the sixteen most common cognitive distortions (read: Cognitive Distortions: When Your Brain Lies to You to see all sixteen), I'll be writing on the handful of distortions that have been most helpful for me to tackle.

The cognitive distortion of Jumping to Conclusions: Mind Reading involves telling oneself that she or he knows the thoughts of others. Mind Reading is defined on the PositivePsychologyProgram website as:
the inaccurate belief that we know what another person is thinking. Of course, it is possible to have an idea of what other people are thinking, but this distortion refers to the negative interpretations that we jump to. Seeing a stranger with an unpleasant expression and jumping to the conclusion that she is thinking something negative about you is an instance of this distortion.

I sometimes fall victim to this cognitive distortion, especially during or after a hypomanic or manic episode. During those times of increased energy and increased communication, I often believe that those I've communicated with are thinking of me in a negative way--especially after the manic or hypomanic episode has ended.

With this cognitive distortion it is helpful to remember that no one can truly know what another person is thinking. I work to combat this cognitive distortion by telling myself that people have better things to do than think about me. People are generally into their own lives, and they don't spend nearly as much time as we think thinking about other people. 

Besides, mind reading other people's thoughts and emotions is a waste of time. And, if I'm really concerned about what a friend or family member is thinking about me, I can ask that person rather than worry about it.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: