Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 Goal Results


Once again I’m going to use a percentage basis of rating my goals. The years when I did an all-or-nothing approach just left me depressed and didn’t give me any credit for how close I came to meeting my goals. Here are the goals and results from 2018:

Goal  1:
Average at least one blog post a week. Between the blog I (mostly) retired, tcruncoach.blogspot.com, and this blog, I averaged over 52 blog posts 2010 - 2013, and 2015 - 2016. In 2017 I only got in 40, so I'm hoping at least twelve more this year.

Result: I did it! I had to cram a bit to make it by the end of the year, but it happened. Score: 100%

Goal 2:
Average two days per week doing strength/cross training for my glutes/core/etc. With two lower leg injuries, one that's been hanging around for over nine months now, I'm definitely going to be running fewer days per week and lower mileage, so I want to take to opportunity to do some supplemental exercises. Who knows? I lifted weights a lot in high school and stayed pretty injury-free, so maybe I'll surprise myself and run some faster times on less mileage.

Result: I didn’t track this one closely, but I know I was weight and strength training three or four days a week through March when I had a gym membership, and did glute, hip, and core exercises two or three days a week after that, so I’m going to give myself a score of 100%.

Goal 3:
Submit two stories to Runner's World. I've already got one almost finished, which means I just need an idea for the next one. I'm planning on both being rejected, but also hoping that at least one gets a couple words on why it was rejected (none of the others I've submitted has).

Result: Done. Neither were accepted, but I’m going to keep trying. Score: 100%

Goal 4:
Set a PR in the 50K.

Result: Didn’t run one due to timing of races and injury. Score: 0%

Goal 5:
Complete a 50 mile race. I have some friends doing the Minnesota Voyageur 50 Mile, so I think I'm going to run that one.

Result: Again, injuries and timing of races kept me from running a 50 mile, but I did get in a marathon. Score: 52%

Goal 6:
Break 17 minutes in the 5K. The 50 mile race is July 28, so that means I have a good amount of time to recover and then aim for some fast 5K races during the fall racing season.

Results: Injuries and being older and slower kept me from this one. I only managed a 17:46. Score: 96%

And there it is. By my calculations I met my goals by 75%. Not as good as last year, but not bad for being injured most of the first half of the year and missing out on a couple of races because of scheduling conflicts.

In my next post, I’ll set out goals for next year.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: