Saturday, November 21, 2020

Ran a (Half) Marathon? Run a 5K or 10K

<Image Credit>

In my last post I wrote about building a base for the spring racing season and running slowly after finishing up a fall race. If, however, you want to get a little more mileage out of your fall fitness, consider racing a 5K or 10K several weeks after a longer race.

While most in-person marathons have been canceled this year, many of you have completed a marathon or half marathon virtually. If you feel like you need another race to motivate you, there's an excellent article on the McMillan Running Website called, "Turning Marathon Fitness into 5K/10K PRs."

I've used this method in the past, and while it hasn't led to any PRs (mainly because my 5K PR was when I was in the best shape of my life), it's a solid plan to squeeze some more performance out of a marathon training cycle.

This year I did a virtual marathon in early November, so I'm trying McMillan's plan again. Unfortunately, completing the plan would mean a long shot at meeting my 5K goal for the year. I'll probably race a virtual 5K the last Sunday of the year and hope that somehow I can eek out a sub-18:00.

Run well.

No comments: