Sunday, November 29, 2020

Mental Health Day or Sick Day

It's a pretty common phrase: "I'm taking a mental health day." I don't know all the reasons people have for taking a mental health day, but generally it means that work is stressful and one needs a day off to mentally recuperate.

As someone with bipolar, were I to take a mental health day, it may be more complex. Unfortunately, most workplaces don't allow for mental health days, but they do allow for sick days, and this is where things get tricky for me. It was easier when I was a substitute teacher and I pretty much picked my own schedule, but before I substitute taught, there were times when I couldn't go into work because of bipolar symptoms.

Unfortunately, there's still a stigma attached to mental illness, especially bipolar, that keeps me from saying what the problem is that's keeping me from work. I don't feel comfortable saying, "My bipolar symptoms are really acting up, and I'm not going to be able to make it in today." Maybe that's partly on me, but I'd still feel more comfortable saying I had a cold or a headache that was keeping me from work.

And what do I do when I call in to work? If I had the flu, a severe cold, or a headache, I'd stay at home and rest. If I'm feeling bipolar symptoms, however, I'd much rather try to get myself moving to burn off some energy if I'm anxious or manic (within reason. Mania can be exacerbated by too much exercise), or to get a mood boost if I'm depressed.

It feels weird being on a run, at the gym, or out for a walk after calling in sick to work. It shouldn't. While resting is the best bet for some ailments, activity is better for others.

I hope one day it will be easier to call in sick to work and say, "I'm dealing with some mental health symptoms," and not feel ashamed doing it.

Stay well.

No comments: