Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Decade of Racing: 2014 and 2015

Over halfway through the decade. Here are my racing highlights from 2014 and 2015:

2014
In 2014 I ran twelve races, including six I paced.


January 1 I ran the Polar Dash Half Marathon, which was actually fourteen miles to celebrate 2014. It was really cold. I was glad to have a co-pacer to share sign duty with because my hand would freeze whenever I held the sign.

I don't have a picture, but ten days after Polar Dash, I ran the Yukon Days 3 Mile Snowshoe Race and won.


Securian Half Marathon was really cold -- three degrees in fact.


The Modesto Half Marathon in California was much warmer, and it was my twentieth half marathon. I managed to finish fourteenth overall and third in my age group.


In June, Laura, my mom and I ran the Laugh and a Half 5K (mom), 10K (me), and half marathon (Laura). I won the 10K, but only because the faster runners were in the half marathon (I think two of them had a faster half marathon pace than my 10K pace).


In October, Laura and I did the Chicago Marathon. I raised money for World Vision, and though I didn't run my fastest time, I was satisfied with a 3:03.

I don't have a picture, but in October I had my best performance to date as the 1:35 pacer at the Mankato Half Marathon, running 1:35:00.

2015
In 2015 I ran seventeen races, including six pacing assignments and one marathon pacing assignment where I dropped out (which would make eighteen races).


In March I raced the Lake Johanna 4 Mile and finished fourth overall and third in my age group.


In April, Laura and I ran one of my favorite events, the Earth Day Half Marathon.


In May, Laura and I did the Fargo Marathon and Half Marathon. We got to meet and chat with Olympian Deena Kastor before the race!


Also in May, I finally broke five minutes in a road mile, running the TC One Mile in 4:55.


This is a race I'll definitely do again, the Valleyfair Run and Ride Half Marathon. It was cool running through the park, and even though it absolutely downpoured toward the end of the race, we had a really good time.


Unfortunately, toward the end of May I started dealing with some bipolar symptoms. I wasn't sleeping well, and eventually my hypomania turned into full mania for a few days. It definitely affected my running, and it came to a head at the Med City Marathon weekend. On Saturday I ran way too fast in the first mile of the 5K and ended up having a poor race. The next day, I dropped out of the Med City Marathon, the first and only time I dropped out of a race I was pacing.


I didn't run much after Med City, and I was still dealing with bipolar symptoms when I ran the Afton 50K in July. Despite still sleeping poorly and dealing with some calf pain, I still managed to set a PR in 4:56:58 at a pace of 9:34 for 31 miles.


Two weeks after Afton, I ran a 1:29 at the Shoreline Half Marathon in New York. Laura and I used the backdrop of the race to take a baby announcement photo.

It was hot and humid, and the 1:29 was good enough for sixth place.

I ran several other races in 2015, including two 5Ks where I tried to break seventeen minutes, but only managed a 17:02 and a 17:19.

That does it for 2014 and 2015. Up next, 2016 - 2017.

No comments: