Monday, January 6, 2020

A Decade of Racing: 2012 and 2013

Time for more running down memory lane. Here are some of my racing highlights from 2012 - 2013:

2012
I ran twenty races in 2012 and did a ton of pacing.


I started out the year running an indoor mile PR at the Meet of the Miles in January.


Laura and I ran the TC Valentines Day 5K where I set a new PR of 17:01 and finished second.


Earth Day 1/2 Marathon was one of my favorite races to pace, and in 2012 I raced the 5K the day before the half marathon.


At the 2012 Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon, I had the pleasure of pacing Laura to her marathon PR.


I ran the TC One Mile and tried to break 5:00. I ended up running a 5:02, but not breaking five minutes may have had something to do with running the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon five days previous.


I ran a new PR of 16:18 at the Med City 5K, then paced the 3:25 group in the marathon the next day.


I did my first triathlon and counted it as a success since I didn't drown or crash the bike. Laura did have to stop me from wearing my helmet while I ran the 5K.


I managed a third place finish at Gopher to Badger Half Marathon in 1:16:36 -- a PR at the time and still my second-fastest half marathon.


In what will likely be my fastest marathon ever, I ran a 2:50:26 at the Whistlestop Marathon, finished sixth overall and second in my age group.

2013
A few weeks after running Whistlestop, I broke my leg playing basketball. Thankfully, it was at the end of the 2012 racing season, so I was able to salvage 2013 and get some decent racing in. I ran seventeen races, including seven that I paced.


My leg rehab wen well, and after breaking it in November, six months later I was able to pace 3:35 at the Med City Marathon on a rainy and chilly day.


Laura and I did the Rochesterfest Triathlon. After doing poorly in the swim and not much better on the bike, I decided I was done with triathlons -- I don't really like swimming, so why train for a triathlon. I may do a duathlon some day.


I did another Ragnar. My legs totaled 32.5 miles which I ran at a pace of 6:51 per mile. I was so sick to my stomach and exhausted afterwards I decided I was done running Ragnar -- at least on an ultra team.


Laura, my mom and dad, and I ran the Victory Labor Day races. It was special having my mom and dad running the 5K. I did the double-header, running the 10K and the 5K. I placed in my age group in the 5K and finished 7th in the double header.


Laura ran the marathon and I ran the ten mile at the Twin Cities Marathon weekend. I came close to a PR running 58:25 -- just 6 seconds off a PR.


I ran a 2:58:07 at the St. Louis Rock 'n Roll Marathon. I started out trying to set a PR and badly crashed an burned, running an eight minute positive split.

There are my racing highlights of 2012 and 2013. Next up, 2014 and 2015.

No comments: