Thursday, February 4, 2010

Running at the YMCA

Is there anything more exhilarating than breaking the rules at the gym? I love that nervous and excited feeling I get in my gut--the one in between the crap I'm getting pulled over and I hope all those blue aliens don't get killed by those mercenary, money-hungry, land-destroying ex-marines--oh sweet, those weird rhinoceros-things are totally destroying those guys. 

Yeah, I know there's a 30 minute limit on the cardio machines. But guess what? I don't even care. If you want to walk up an incline while you watch "The Girls Next Door" why don't you get one of those mini-TVs and walk up some steps. Better yet, use a stairmaster and watch TV. Either way, I'm spending a whole hour on the treadmill.

How else am I going to do speed work at 6:00 PM on a Tuesday night? It's dark, there's ice and snow all over the place, and the sidewalks of West St Paul are dimly lit and few and far between. I'm not going to slip on some black ice, get run over by a car,  and be left for dead just to avoid running on a treadmill for an hour. No, I'm going to do my mile repeats right on the treadmill and if that means someone has to wait an extra 2 1/2 minutes to get their turn, so be it.

And then there's that rule that you're only supposed to put swim suites in the automatic spin cycle suite drying machine. Why can't I put my running shorts in there? They're soaked because there's no fans blowing on me when I run on the treadmill. I'm used to running outside where it's 10 degrees. Is it too much to ask to have a fan cooling me off while I run? But no, there's no fans and, on top of that, they won't let me dry my shorts in that little machine thing. I decided to follow that rule though, because I supposed it is kind of icky to put super sweaty shorts in a machine other people put their swim trunks in. Lots of people probably wear those trunks again before washing them so it'd be pretty gross if they had to dry their trunks off right after my sweat-soaked running shorts were in there.

So while I do enjoying breaking the rules at the gym, I guess I keep my running shorts out of the swim suite dryer doodad. And whenever I feel like wrenching my knee by running in small circles I suppose I'll run the right direction on the indoor track and not change directions every few laps to wrench both knees equally. Obeying those two should keep me from having my membership revoked.

No comments: