Saturday, February 20, 2010

Aren't you cold?

It's interesting to hear the different reactions to being out in the winter weather from people who run outside in the winter versus people who don't. As I was going on a run this morning some guy going out to his car yelled to me, "Aren't you cold?" I was in normal winter running gear and the weather was in the 20s. I was actually thinking the shirt I had under my running jacket was a little too warm. "Nope!" I yelled back.

Later I was talking to my little sister on the phone. When I told her I ran today she also asked if I was cold. I told her I'd only been cold running outside a couple times this winter, and that's when I was running into the wind when the windchill was below zero. "You're insane," she told me.

When I was running, however, I passed a guy who said, "Isn't this weather great!" And it was. A light snowfall, no wind, weather in the 20s--it was perfect.

Here's my workouts for the week:

Sunday -
2 miles on snowshoes

Monday -
11.4 miles with 30 sec 5k pace every 3 min

Tuesday -
6.9 miles easy

Wednesday -
Rest

Thursday -
9.1 miles with 10 X 10 sec hill sprints

Friday -
7.1 miles with 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min @ 3k - 5k pace with same recovery

Saturday -
8.1 miles with 10 X 10 sec hill sprints

Total - 44.6 miles

I missed this weeks goal by a little over three miles. I've had a sore tendon in my left ankle and could've made up the miles but decided it wasn't a bad idea to cut back a little and rest the ankle.

Next week: Goal of 51 miles

No comments: