Monday, October 12, 2020

Streaks, Niggles, and Hypomania

All things must come to end. As of October 10, I had run 62 consecutive days and reached my 10,000 steps goal for 48 days. I hadn't kept track of my steps before, but my previous running streak record was 47 days.

This morning, I woke up feeling exhausted. After being up by 5:30 a.m. or earlier every weekday for a few weeks, I decided I was done with my running streak. I'd been having some little niggles in my feet and ankles (which I think were due to an old pair of shoes), so I decided that with the exhaustion and the niggles, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a day off.  

I also cut back my mileage a bit because I read that it's possible that exercise can exacerbate or cause hypomania and mania, though whether exercise causes hypomania or mania or that excessive exercise is caused by mania or hypomania is not clear (Can Exercise Cause Mania?).

Tomorrow I'll be back at it, partly because I've come down from the mild hypomania I'd been feeling for a week or so and partly because exercise has a positive effect on depression. I generally get a little depressed after a hypomanic or manic episode, so staying active is important.

I enjoyed the running and steps streaks, but it feels right to let them end.

Be well.

No comments: