Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Ordinary Grace



So a while back, I said I’d be writing some posts about books I’ve listened to on the run. I’ve got several draft posts ready to go, but I’ve been wondering if my readers are even interested in posts about audiobooks.

"Ordinary Grace." It was amazing. While I don't usually listen to literary fiction while running, the mystery element of "Ordinary Grace" was compelling enough to keep the story moving and without getting too bogged down in prose.

The plot of the novel is pretty straightforward, so I really don't want to give anything away. The mystery is well-crafted and leaves the readers enough hints and misdirections to keep them guessing who-done-it.

Besides a well-crafted plot, setting and characterization are nearly flawless. The story takes place in southern Minnesota, and as a Minnesota resident who's spent some time in the area, I could completely picture the setting in my mind. For those who haven’t been to southern Minnesota, there is enough detail and description to make the novel come alive.

The characters in "Ordinary Grace" are interesting, well-rounded and believable. The novel is told from the viewpoint of an adult, but done as he looks back into his childhood. The first person narrative doesn't feel too narrow in describing the plot or the characters. As the novel moved on, I felt I was getting to know both the narrator and the supporting characters personally.

Reading this book made me search out more titles by Krueger, and I’ve really enjoyed listening to and reading his Cork O’Connor series.

If you’re interested in other posts about books, let me know. Otherwise, I’ll bag this idea.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: