Sunday, December 28, 2014

Annual Birthday Run

It happened again: I lived another year without dying. To celebrate, for the fourth year-in-a-row, last month I ran one kilometer for every year I've survived on this harsh planet. For those keeping score, that's thirty two kilometers.

I have a few friends who do a mile for every year, but I prefer to take a more international approach to my birthday running. Sure, it may be seen as "unpatriotic," but I prefer to use a system of measurement employed by the vast majority of the planet, mathematically easier to use, and the global standard for track and field. It also doesn't hurt that kilometers are shorter than miles and running thirty two miles in one day seems a little much.

But I digress. My birthday run went well. I started out by running around six miles before pacing the Chocoholic Frolic 10k. After the race, I had a little post-race chocolate refreshment with Laura, then finished up my 32k by heading back toward Eagan.

Unfortunately I misjudged the distance from the race finish line to my house, so at 32k I was still almost two miles from home. I've been taking it easy since the Chicago Marathon, so after running almost 20 miles, I didn't really feel like running another couple miles. Plus, Laura and I had a lunch date at Godfather's buffet that I really didn't want to miss.

So, I asked a nice biker (the kind that wears spandex, not leather) if I could borrow his cell phone, and I called Laura and told her to come and pick me up. The phone rang about seven times. I really did not feel like walking, or what was quite possibly going to become run walking, so I was super relieved when she finally answered.

I'm glad I've been able to keep the birthday run tradition alive. Next year will be the first year with the run being over twenty miles long, so I'm going to have to keep staying in shape.

Happy Running!

No comments: