Saturday, May 26, 2012

Med City 5k Race Report

We were blessed with the weather today at the Med City 5k run the afternoon before the Med City Marathon. The temperature was in the low 60s and there was a nice breeze blowing through downtown Rochester. Though a large thunderstorm had rolled through Rochester earlier, the rain had cleared out and all that remained were some clouds and a little humidity.

I met up with some friends, Gerad and Nate W., before the race. We did a little warmup and then lined up for the start. The start was a little surreal--Ronald McDonald led some stretching exercises and then sang the national anthem. Then, Jeff Galloway said a few words and started us off.

I stayed right with Gerad the first 3/4 of a mile and then stayed pretty close to him after that. I came through the first mile at around 5:05--a little faster than I was planning, but I was feeling good so I decided to try and keep up with Gerad.
trying to catch Gerad

after the race

 The course wound its way around Silver Lake and finished back where it started in downtown. Coming down the finish I was making my way closer to Gerad. He'd raced a marathon two weeks before, so I thought there might be a chance that I could catch up to him. I went as hard as I could but I couldn't do it--he still got me by two seconds.


Still, I ran a huge PR and I was thrilled. I was glad I tried to stay with Gerad--it was ambitious but it paid off. I haven't seen the official times yet, but at the awards they said I was at 16:18 (EDIT: Official chip time was 16:17 with a gun time of 16:18), tying the course record, and Gerad was at 16:16. Gerad won the overall and I came in second. I also got a medal for winning the 20 - 29 age group.

Laura's parents were kind enough to come out and cheer and Laura was nice enough to act as official Twin Cities Runner blog photographer. Tomorrow she'll be running the 1/2 marathon while I pace the full.

No comments: