Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Frank Shorter

During my busy week, I neglected to blog about an exciting running-related event: I met Frank Shorter!


Last Wednesday a Running Room opened up in Eagan, and Frank Shorter was on hand to give a few words. During a brief program inside the packed store, Mr. Shorter spoke about The Running Room and its Founder, John Stanton. He then said he would be running the mile "fun run" very slowly, and all he asked was that we say, "looking good Frank," when we passed him. John Stanton also gave a brief address, and then it was off for the 5k "fun run."

The Running Room regional manager emphasized that this was a "fun run" and not a race. Traffic would not be stopped and we needed to wait at the lights.

I was a little disappointed because I had been planning on trying to run a fast 5k. I decided I would use the "fun run" as a workout and go as fast as I could in between the lights. The race started and I made my way around Frank and the mayor, and the president of the Chamber of Commerce, calling, "looking good Frank," as I passed them.


A little past half-a-mile it happened--the first red light. The lead biker stopped and I stopped alongside her. Then, two other runners caught up to me. I decided I would stop my Garmin just to see what my "non-stoplight" time would be.

I ended up hitting three stoplights throughout the race, and came through when the clock read 18:20. I had 16:59 on my Garmin, but I don't know if I would have been slower because I wouldn't have had any breaks, or faster because I didn't have to stop and start, had I been running an actual 5k.

Either way it was fun getting to see Frank Shorter--I even got him to sign my bib number!

No comments: