Monday, September 28, 2026

Marathon Training

Twin Cities Marathon is almost here. It's been years since I've done a structured training plan for a marathon, and the first time since high school that I've incorporated weightlifting into my training.

Going into this training cycle I planned on getting to a reasonably high weekly mileage, and I was actually able to up my mileage a little more than I was planning. I managed an average of just over 44 miles a week in 14 weeks of training, and my peak week was 67 miles.

Besides running more miles than I have in years, I've also been hitting some pretty solid workouts. For a lot of my training cycle, I did some solid tempo runs between 20 and 30 minutes, and an interval workout just about every week. In 14 weeks of training, I only bailed on two workouts as my legs just weren't feeling it those days.

Besides the tempo runs and interval workouts, I also got in some good long runs. I did three long runs of 20 miles or more, and did a handful of long runs where I ran the last few miles at goal marathon pace.

My highlight long run was a two mile warmup, racing a half marathon at 6:39/mile pace, four easy miles, then two miles at goal marathon pace for a total of 21 miles.

I've really enjoyed this training block, and a big part of that was getting to train with my kiddos. Quite a few times this summer I did the first part of an easy run with my 10 year-old, and as I've mentioned before, he biked with me on several of my long runs. My six year-old daughter also joined me on her bike on a couple of my runs. On our last outing, we were going along and she said, "Three miles is my record."

I said, "How about we go four miles?"

She said, "Let's do six." And she did do six miles. It was great.

It's been a solid three-and-a-half months of training, and I'm feeling pretty good going into the Twin Cities Marathon. I'll give my goals for the race in my next post.

No comments: