Monday, February 22, 2021

Hospital Anniversary

Since 2018 I've been celebrating my anniversary of my last hospitalization. This February marks the fourth year of staying out of the hospital. It feels good to know my bipolar has been managed well enough that I haven't had to be hospitalized.

I'm glad that I've employed the tools I've learned to keep from falling into too much of a depression and ascending into a full-blown manic episode.

The class I took after one of my hospitalizations on DBT has helped quite a bit. I'm better able to recognize when I'm slipping into depression or when I'm starting to become manic. When those things happen, I can apply skills like mindfulness, showing gratitude, and using lovingkindness among others.

And while I've learned skills and used skills to manage bipolar, I've also been surrounded by an amazing support system. Friends, family, a therapist, and doctor have been vital to my success at staying out of the hospital.

I have had some bouts of depression, mixed states, and hypomania, but nothing close to landing me in the hospital and all very short lived.

One thing I want to emphasize is that while staying out of the hospital is a big positive, it's not always the best thing. Sometimes the hospital is necessary. Mania that is out of control or depression that is debilitating often necessitate a stay in the hospital. That's not a failure — it can just be a time of recovery.

Once, when I was talking to my therapist, I shared with her my fear of going back to the hospital. Instead of telling me that I could manage my bipolar well enough to avoid the hospital, she reminded me that I'd been in the hospital before and would have the support I'd need if I had to be in the hospital again.

So, while I'm happy to have avoided the hospital for the past four years, I know if I do have to go to the hospital, things will work out.

Stay well.

1 comment:

stillwaterrunner said...

Love and light to and yours.
Huge respect and admiration for the work you have done, and the work you will continue to do on your journey of health.