Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Virtual Races


Without almost any in-person races going on, many are turning to virtual events. An event I've been doing is the (not) parkrun. Parkrun is a free 5K run every Saturday in various places around the world. Laura and I used to do one in Eagan, Minn. fairly regularly. Now, without the in-person event, parkrun has started the (not) parkrun. In the (not) parkrun, one submits her or his time to the website to appear in the results.

Before this year, I did one virtual run over ten years ago, the Global Warming My Ass Run (not an anti-science run, just a nod to beating cold weather). My race report can be found at: Virtual Race Report: GWMA. I enjoyed it and enjoyed writing a race report about a course I created myself.

There are two things I enjoy about virtual runs. First, you can pick the course and make it as hard or as easy as you like. Secondly, in most events, you can pick the day and time. This means you can work around your schedule as well as the weather.

Some of the downsides of virtual runs include the lack of race day excitement, no crowd support, no finish line fun, and no physical competition.

Another downside I've run into is the ease one can give up on the race when having a bad day. One day, I was planning on doing a (not) parkrun, but just wasn't feeling great. After running two miles and looking at my pace, I decided to bag the run and "drop out" of the virtual race. Had it been an actual race, I almost certainly would have toughed it out and finished, even if my time wouldn't have been great.

There are many virtual races out there, some free and some at a cost that includes swag like medals, hats, and shirts. I decided since I already have a crap ton of running gear and medals, I'm going to stick to the free 5Ks. I'm also signed up for the free version of the Marathon Training Academy's Social Distancing Run. I'm planning on making it a marathon that I'll run around my 38th birthday.

Anyone run a virtual race this year or thinking of running one? What do you think?

No comments: