Sunday, August 9, 2020

Running Injury Blues


If you follow this blog, you're probably aware that I deal with lots of running injuries. Just because I have, however, doesn't mean you have to. I'm naturally injury prone, and I've made a lot of training errors that have led me down the injury path. In the next few posts you can read about the mistakes I've made, and I hope you can have far fewer injuries than me.

Here are some running injuries I've had since running my first marathon in 2009:
  • Patella tendinitis
  • IT band syndrome
  • Posterior tibial tendinitis
  • Calf strain
  • Broken leg at knee (from basketball)
  • Runner's knee
  • Peroneal teninitis (left)
  • Metatarsalgia
  • Peroneal tendinitis (right)

There's one pro that comes out of that list: I average fewer than one injury per year, so when I sat down and listed these, it was fewer injuries than I thought. Part of this was that I enjoyed injury-free stretches from the fall of 2011 to the fall of 2012 and again from 2016 - 2017.

Unfortunately,  some of my racing seasons were disrupted or curtailed, and one, the spring of 2018, I would have abandoned altogether if I hadn't already been signed up for a marathon. This spring I wouldn't have raced due to my peroneal tendinitis, but races being canceled due to COVID-19 meant my missing the season due to injury didn't matter anyway.

Some of these injuries cleared up on their own and others required some physical therapy.

In my next post, I'll be writing about how my training errors have contributed to my running injuries.

Stay healthy.

No comments: