Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Understanding and Support

I’ve received a lot of support when I’ve been hospitalized and in the immediate aftermath. In the past, leaving the hospital has been a challenge. Assimilating back into a regular routine and getting back to coping with the regular stressors that come with life are not always easy.

Besides that, I’ve felt embarrassed about going to the hospital both for being there and for how I was acting immediately before the hospital. When manic, I’ve done things and said things that I really wish I hadn’t, and it’s been hard to to tell myself those things were mostly out of my control due to my illness. I’ve also been embarrassed simply because of the fact that I’m bipolar, and didn’t want people to judge me, put me in a box, expect me to act a certain way, or be uncomfortable around me.

Thankfully, I’ve received a lot of support from friends and family when I’ve left the hospital. I wrote before about how I’ve appreciated people just spending time with me and not trying to pry into what happened or how I’m feeling, but there have also been times when people have said exactly what I needed hear.

After my first trip to the hospital because of a manic episode, I was really embarrassed upon leaving the hospital. I didn’t want to tell anyone I was bipolar or that I had to take medication. Soon after I was out of the hospital, however,  two friends said just the right things to make me feel better.

One friend and I were sitting in the cafeteria when for some reason I told her about how I had to take medication and wasn’t happy about it. “It’s OK,” she said. “I have to take medications too.” She went on to tell me about a medical condition she had. “Some people have to take medication,” she said. “It’s not a big deal.”

Later, I was talking to another friend. I don’t know how it came up, but I told her I was bipolar. “I don’t really want people to know,” I said. “I’m afraid they wouldn’t want to be my friends anymore or that they’d think of me differently.”

“If they’re your friends, why would they stop being your friends or think of you differently?” she said. “If they’re really your friends, they’ll keep being your friends.

It retrospect, both of my friends were simply sharing truths with me, but at the time my embarrassment kept me from seeing things clearly. I’ve been so blessed with support and understanding that leaving the hospital has become less of a burden.

Thanks for reading

No comments: