Monday, June 4, 2018

Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon Race Report


My 17th marathon is in the books. Not counting pacing, this was the slowest marathon I have ever run. I was planning on running as easy as possible, walking the water stops, and enjoying the scenery, but my plans changed on race day.

Before the race, I ran into my buddy, Dan, and found out he was pacing the three hour and 21 minute group. I was planning on running more like three hours and 30 minutes, but since I hadn’t seen Dan in forever, I thought it would be nice to catch up with him.

It was nice catching up, and although running at a 7:41 / mile pace was tougher than what I was planning on running, it turned out to be doable. Also, running with Dan and made the race go by quickly. I have placed a lot of races in the past, but I have never run with pace group on my own other than the first five miles of my first half marathon. It was a cool experience being on the other end of things, and Dan definitely pulled me along the last few miles of the race.

I’m a big fan of the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon, and I enjoyed my third time running it as much as my first two experiences with the race. The trail is scenic enough --  a bucolic setting interrupted by a few streams and lakes, and a good amount of tree cover in the beginning and middle parts of the race. I’m always impressed with the aid stations and the food at the end, and this year was no exception. A bonus on the race this year, I saw a crane fly by at about mile 16. Pretty neat.

In the future post I’ll talk about what’s next for me, but I definitely won’t be pursuing a PR in the 50K or completing a 50 mile this season. My foot that is been bothering me started acting up around mile 12, and although it was bearable, I don’t really want to mess with the long runs required for racing at 50K or completing a 50 mile until I know my foot is 100% healed.

Run well.

No comments: