Friday, February 2, 2018

Supporting a Loved One: A succinct resource


My blog posts tend to be a little wordy. Long sentences, etc. While some may have found my posts about supporting loved ones helpful, I realize they're not as accessible as some other resources.

Here is a link to an article from the University of Michigan:



The article is geared to college students, but the advice is useful for anyone:

A chart from the end of the above article gives some helpful advice:

WHAT HELPS
WHAT HURTS
I know you have a real illness and that’s what causes these thoughts and feelings.
It’s all in your head.
I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel, but I care about you and want to help.
We all go through times like this.
You are important to me. Your life is important to me.
You have so much to live for-- why do you want to die?
Tell me what I can do now to help you.
What do you want me to do?
I can’t do anything about your situation.
You might not believe it now, but the way you’re feeling will change.
Just snap out of it.
Look on the bright side.
You are not alone in this. I’m here for you.
You’ll be fine. Stop worrying.
Talk to me. I’m listening.
Here’s my advice…
I am here for you. We will get through this together.
What’s wrong with you?
Shouldn’t you be better by now?

If you have a loved one who you believe may commit suicide, you need to act immediately. Take them to the hospital, or if it's even more urgent, call 911. Also, have her or him put the phone number for a county crisis line (a quick Google search will find it) and/or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 in his or her phone.

My next post will be the last in this series. I'd love to include stories from others who have dealt with mental health issues. If you have a story you think would be helpful for others, message me or send me an email at leckbann@gmail.com.

No comments: