Saturday, April 30, 2016

Mudball 4 Mile: Race Report

I didn't set any goals for this one for a couple reasons. First off, I've never run it before, so I had no idea what the hills or running surface was like. Without that information, guessing my pace would be difficult. Secondly, I hadn't planned my race well due to an error in timing. I had written the wrong date in the planner and had been planning to do the race on Saturday and a longish run on Sunday. Instead, the race was on Sunday, so I ended up doing my long run on Saturday and racing on Sunday.


Saturday happened to be pretty warm, so my long run took a little more out of me than normal. As a result, my legs weren't exactly fresh for the Mudball 4 Mill on Sunday.


As a bonus, Laura and baby Calvin came along to watch. We also ran into a couple of running friends and they got to meet Calvin.The race itself actually went decent. My legs felt pretty heavy during my warmup, but once we got started they didn't feel bad at all.I started out with the leaders and managed to stay with the first place dude for the first couple miles. Then, my long run started to catch up with me and the hills started to drain me. The leader pulled away halfway through the second mile, but the second place guy had dropped off sometime during the first mile.

I thought maybe the first place guy would slow up, and he did, but not as much as me. I ended up finishing in 25:21, a little over 30 seconds behind the winner.

It was cool having Calvin and Laura at the race. For a race the day after a long run, it went pretty decent.


Happy Running!



No comments: