Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Breakfast Cookies


It's time to share one of my training secrets--breakfast cookies. This recipe was passed down from a childhood babysitter, to my mother, to me. I've tweaked the recipe here and there to make them a little "healthier," so feel free to tinker in whatever way you'd like. Here's how I do them:

Ingredients:
Dry:
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup whole grain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon 
  • 1/2 bag of your favorite chocolate chips

Wet:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup applesauce (or you can just use 1/2 cup butter)
  • 1 cup sugar (I've used Truvia before, and it works OK)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 medium over-ripe bananas
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Wet
  • Cream butter/applesauce, sugar, and egg
  • Add over-ripe bananas and vanilla
  • Mix well

Dry:
  • Mix in separate bowl
  • Add slowly to wet ingredients until mixed consistantly
  • Scoop onto un-greased cookie sheet (I use foil over mine) in 1" lumps
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes
  • Lick the spoon

Makes about 20 cookies.


Happy Running!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog and this recipe. I'm sorry I didn't read it until now.

Tom