Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Cold

No, it's not cold up in the Twin Cities. In fact, the heat index has been above 100 since Saturday. The cold here is all in my head--literally in my sinuses. Every summer I seem to get a cold at some point and this week I just happened to pick it up during one of the hottest weeks of the summer.

It's been too long since I've posted but there really hasn't been much to report and I've been too busy to be creative. I did get in a guest post over at The Runner's Plate--a great blog I highly recommend.

Running has been uneventful but has being going OK. I recovered from Afton pretty well--after an easy week of about 24 miles I got over 50 last week.

Unfortunately, on Saturday morning I noticed the onset of a cold--being up too late several nights in a row and being too busy did me in. I still managed to go on a run with some friends from Minnesota Running Wild for 16 miles in some pretty high humidity. Then, later in the evening I ran another 5 miles in a heat index of 90+. Maybe not the smartest thing to do at the onset of a cold, but I'm running Ragnar in August and I want to get use to running in heat and on tired legs.

I was a little stuffy and felt tired Saturday evening and by Sunday morning BAM! a full-blown cold. I went straight for the zinc, hoping that my symptoms wouldn't be as bad and my cold wouldn't last as long if I started it ASAP. I was miserable enough Sunday to sleep for about 2 hours in the middle of the day and skip my run. Monday I was feeling better but was busy enough to skip a run again.

Today I'm back at it. I'm still a little congested but the achy-ness has subsided and I think the zinc is doing its job. Yesterday was my last day of work for summer school--no school until September so no excuses for not running. It's 8 AM and the heat index is already 85*. I'm bringing water and I'm not planning on any specific distance.

Tonight we leave for Voyageur's National Park for the rest of the week so no blogging until at least Sunday. I hope to post some great pictures of this beautiful water-based national park. I also hope to get at least one run in while we're out there, maybe more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Have fun on your trip!