Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chugging Along

I suppose tiptoeing along would be more accurate. Since my IT band started acting up I've been redlining it for the last month--training on that thin, invisible line where me knee hurts just enough to make it interesting. I haven't had to cut any runs short or miss any workouts because of it, so I'm going to say that so far I've done a pretty good job. I've made it two weeks in a row of 50+ miles and this week should be number three.

It's so much fun to have a hobby that constantly has me thinking about how much more of my hobby I can handle before the hobby becomes impossible. I'm trying to imagine other hobbies where people are faced with this same dilemma. How many more stamps can I press in this book before I get arthritis in my finger? I'd love to put in one more quilt a year but I'm afraid a stress fracture might keep me from my goal.

OK, so maybe casual tennis players and golfers might deal with an occasional sore elbow or a bad back. I seriously doubt, however, that they're often limited in how much of their hobby they can take before one of their body parts begins to break down.

I don't care--I'll take running anyway. Part of the fun of it is coming up with a training plan where I think I've got a good shot at improving while at the same time avoiding injury.


This weekend I'm head to White Bear Lake for Yukon Days. Last year was a good time so I thought I'd give it another whirl. They've added a couple of races so I'm going to see if I can run both the 6 mile races along with the one mile. Should be a fun weekend.

1 comment:

Nitmos said...

My family assumes that every ailment I get - from pulled hamstring to a filling - is somehow due to running. And why am I doing this to myself?!