Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Holding Pattern

Lest I go an entire month without a blog post, here's a recent recap of running events and mini-tragedies since my last post:

I lost my Garmin 305. It was inevitable--it joins the ranks of two ipods as small, expensive running paraphernalia I should never be trusted with. I'd like to replace it, but I'll probably have to wait until after my birthday and/or Christmas. Oh well.

My running had already been in maintenance-mode that bordered on going completely into downhill-mode. And not the kind of downhill that means I was running faster. I'd decided I was going to lift some weights and focus on my core strength to get ready for Boston training. Then, I got hit by a softball. Since then, I haven't exercised a bit as I've been recovering from a concussion. There's a lovely picture of the wound at the bottom of the page. If you don't like gore, don't scroll to the end. Sorry if you already scrolled to the end and didn't want to and are now sick to your stomach.

The softball injury occurred while running--funny because it's usually those overuse injuries that get me. I was running from first to second. The shortstop had bobbled a grounder and it was going to be a close play at second. He proceeded to throw the ball hard and unfortunately the ball missed the second baseman and caught me in the head. A week later I'm back to almost full speed and hope to start exercising again.

Once I get used to my new work schedule, I hope to settle into a workout pattern. I think I'll shoot for two or three days of strength training and at least three days of running starting next week. By November I'll be ready to go nuts with running to prepare for the Boston Marathon.










Holy Ouch!

3 comments:

Julie said...

OMG! Ouch! My hubby has one that sort of looks like that too! The good thing is that your eyebrow will cover up some of the scar:)

kizzy said...

sorry bout your eyebrow...

--kizzy marmot ski

Nitmos said...

Man, that looks painful...but it happened a month ago so you should be better right? Right?