Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Hospital Anniversary



A couple weeks ago marked six years of being out of the hospital. It’s the second longest stretch since my first time being hospitalized in 1997.

This time of year can often be a challenge. The days are still short and the weather’s still cold. Oftentimes I get down this time of year, but this year has been one of the best Februarys I can remember.

Being hospital-free feels good. There’s a lot of little things I do to stay mentally healthy, and another year out of the hospital confirms that I’m doing a lot of things right. In her book, “Preventing Bipolar Relapse,” by Ruth C. White, the author uses the acronym SNAP, which stands for sleep, nutrition, activities, and people.

To stay mentally healthy, I try to keep all these things in mind in my daily activities. I go to bed about the same time every night. Most days I get at least five servings of fruits and vegetables. I also keep a workout routine and keep people in my life who help me stay mentally healthy.

And while I do my best to stay mentally healthy, part of staying out of the hospital has been help from my friends and my family. I receive a lot of understanding and support, especially from my wife. Without her understanding and sacrifices (like taking care of the kids' middle-of-the-night wakeups), along with reminding me to take my pills, I would not be where I am today, and I almost definitely wouldn't be hospital-free for this long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You’re doing a great job Nate. Congratulations! This is definitely worth celebrating!