Monday, April 12, 2021

Goal Update


Every year for the past decade or so, I've set goals for the year. I did the same this year, but I also added some monthly goals. The yearly goals have been going great. The monthly goals — well, not so much. Here's an update on the yearly goals:

1. Run 1,400 miles: I don't want to jinx this one, but it's been going better than I would have thought, especially considering a foot injury last November that slowed me down at the beginning of the year. If I continue running at the rate I've done for the first three months of the year, I'll be over 1,750 miles by the end of the year.

2. Break 18:15 in the 5K: Last year my goal was to break 18 minutes, and from July through October, I couldn't get it done. I came agonizingly close with an 18:02, which happened to be my last attempt of the year. Being a year older this year and imagining I wouldn't been training quite as hard, I thought 18:15 would be a stretch, but doable. Imagine my surprise when I ran 17:53 on my first try of the year. One goal accomplished before the end of March.

3. Run an in-person race: The running club I’m in, Run Minnesota, is putting on a 5K on Saturday, April 17. I’ll be there barring any unforeseen circumstances.

4. Finish a Marathon: If I can stay healthy, I'll either finish Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon or do a virtual marathon.

5. Average one-and-a-half hours of strength training per week: I've been averaging around two hours a week, so this one's going well and should be easy to complete since I can do strength training injured or not.

In my next post, I'll give an update on my monthly goals.

No comments: