Saturday, February 15, 2020

Hospital Anniversary - Year 3


Three years. I'm so glad I've made it this long without a hospitalization. I'm even more glad that in these last three years I haven't had an episode that's lasted longer than a week.

Three years ago I had to tell Laura where I put her Valentine's card at home because I was stuck in the hospital. Three years ago I could barely function outside the hospital. Three years ago seems like a distant memory.

My last hospitalization was the third in fairly quick succession after going around eight years without being hospitalized. That first hospitalization in the line of three was for mania -- my most severe manic episode in thirteen years. The next two were both for depression.

It feels good being out of the hospital for three years and especially good this time because unlike the last couple of years I've celebrated my hospital anniversary, this year I'm not feeling symptomatic.

The last three years have been some of the most emotionally balanced years I've had in a long time. I've got a therapist who has really helped me manage my symptoms, especially anxiety and depression, and I have a doctor who manages my medications that's very responsive and a good listener. I've also got an amazingly supportive network of friends and family, a job that I like and is not too stressful, and years of experience with my symptoms to recognize an upcoming rough patch and to deal with it quickly.

Thank you to all who have offered support and kind words. And thank you readers. This blog has also been a helpful outlet, and I appreciate everyone who reads it.

No comments: