Thursday, September 6, 2018

September Sugar Challenge




If you missed my previous post on the September Sugar Challenge, you’re not too late. You can still join for the second half of the month. I didn’t get near the response I got when I invited my readers to try the August Sugar Challenge a couple of years back. If you want to join, it’s easy. You can read the whole post, September Sugar Challenge, but here are some things you can do to participate:
  • Give up one high sugar item from your diet. I recommend a sugared beverage like a blended coffee (things like frappuccinos or lattes can be filled with sugar, often more than the daily recommended amount of sugar in one drink) or soda (most sodas have almost one-and-a-half-times the recommended amount of sugar in a 12 oz serving)..
  • Limit yourself to one sweet a day, one a week, etc.
  • Eliminate (within reason) processed sugar from your diet. I wouldn’t go all the way with this one. Bread, granola, some sauces, etc. often have some sugar in them. Instead, focus on sweetened cereals, beverages, etc., and try to limit things with added sugar to less than 10 grams or so.

That’s it. If you’re interested in participating, leave a comment and let us know what you’re up to.

I had decided on three sweets a week and to keep those sweets to a reasonable portion size for the first half of the month. Now, I am going to one sweet a week for the second half of the month.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: