Friday, April 20, 2018

Audio Books, Reading, and Running


As this blog continues to become less about running and more eclectic, I wanted to share some audio books I've enjoyed while running, cycling, and doing other forms of exercising. That way there's at least a bit of a connection to running while the content of my blog continues to diversify.

Though I often run earbud-free, especially on trail runs and hard runs, I do enjoy listening to podcasts and audio books -- especially when I'm doing a lot longer runs by myself.

I generally listen to fiction when I'm running. I enjoy a variety of genres of literature and nonfiction, but I usually choose mystery, crime fiction, and fantasy when I run. Those genres usually suck me in, and while I enjoy literary fiction, realistic fiction, horror, dystopian, history, and biography, it's easiest to lose myself in crime, mystery and fantasy. Books that are part of a series also tend to make runs fly by, especially well-written series with compelling characters.

When a book is really absorbing, sometimes the run itself becomes a blur. Autopilot takes over and scenery, weather, effort, and pace become barely noticeable background noise while my mind busies itself creating the world of the book.

Interestingly enough, while individual runs seem to fade into the background while I'm absorbed in a book, when I recall certain books, I can picture runs when I was listening to that book. I can think about the plot of certain novels and remember running before the sun came up or on a trail during a rainy day. Other times, I'll be on a run and it jogs a memory from a book I've listened to on that same route.

With all the excellent (or simply compelling) novels I've listened to on my runs, I thought it'd be nice to share some of these with my readers. Even if only a few readers are interested, writing about literature (even if some of it is "pulp fiction") is something that, as an English major, is enjoyable.

So, in the next few posts I'll be sharing some of my favorite books, authors, and series. I miss talking literature with classmates in college, so writing about literature will serve as a nice substitute for awhile -- maybe I'll even make it a regular feature.

No comments: