Friday, September 1, 2017

Goal Reviews

I maybe should have done this halfway through the year, but I thought I'd come back to my goals to give some progress.

Goal 1: Set a PR at the marathon distance.
  • A PR at Grandma's didn't come close to happening. Illness kept me from training well, but I did manage to run a BQ time of 3:04. 
  • I'm taking another shot at a marathon PR at the PNC Bank Milwaukee Marathon in October.
Goal 2: Break 17 minutes in the 5K.
  • I've run one 5K, and it was in 17:38, so I was nowhere close. 
  • I've been having some better 5K paced workouts, so I think I might have a shot at my next 5K.
Goal 3: Set a new indoor mile PR.
  • This is the one I'm closest to. I ran a 4:55 in January and my PR is 4:52.
  • I might give this another shot in December.
The running season is winding down, and I've only got one more shot at a marathon PR and likely only one more shot at an indoor mile PR. Meeting all three goals will be a stretch, but I'm optimistic.

I'm also going to track my goals a little differently from past years. Since I only have three goals, I'm going to use percentages, so here's how I stand on percentages of goals met:

Marathon PR: My PR stands at 2:50:28, and I ran 3:04:26 at Grandma's, so that gives me 94% of my PR.

Break 17 minutes in the 5K: A 17:38 puts me at 96% of breaking 17.

Set a new indoor mile PR: My PR is 4:52, and I ran a 4:55 in January, so that puts me at 98.9% of my goal.

Looking at my goals this way, I feel a lot better. Although I'm zero for three in meeting my goals all out, I'm averaging 96.3% of meeting my goals.

Tomorrow I run a 5K. It's a pretty casual affair, so I'll probably be running by myself for the whole race. Although it's pretty much going to be a solo time trail, if I run smart I'll have a pretty good shot at breaking 17 minutes.

No comments: