Friday, July 3, 2015

Afton 50k - It's Goal Time

After a quick peak back at my 2011 Afton Trail Run race report, I thought I'd get ahead of the game and set some goals for this year's version. 

Wednesday, as I was setting up the Running Room booth for the National Senior Games Health and Wellness Expo, I had the honor of chatting with Grand Ave Running Room employee who will be course marshaling the Afton Trail Run. This experienced runner recently completed a 100 mile race in less than twenty-six hours, so I spent some time picking his brain on his nutrition and racing strategies.

Since my collapse at the Med City Marathon, I haven't done much in the way of a "long run," so nutrition might be the only thing I've got going for me. There have been some nice bike rides, but the thought of running for more than a couple hours in one shot hasn't been overly appealing until now.

For the upcoming Afton 50k, my only real plan is to run slow enough that I can enjoy the food and finish upright. But, in the interest of consistency, I'd better set A, B, and C goals.

A: Finish the race without blisters
B: Finish the race with 1-2 blisters
C: Finish the race with 3+ blisters

Happy Running!

No comments: