Saturday, March 14, 2015

Goal Time: Lake Johanna 4 Mile

It's time to get the rust out and race for the first time since the Chicago Marathon. This year, I'm trying out the Lake Johanna Four Mile. I've never done this race before, nor have I raced a 4 mile--definitely a nonstandard distance.

I'm looking forward to this race quite a bit. It should feel like a 5k, but it's just long enough to make choosing a pace a challenge. Running at 5k pace would definitely be too fast, but a 10k pace would be too slow. Time to find a brand new gear.

I'm excited to see what sort of time I can pull off. My running's been going very well, and I've had a couple great workouts including an 800m repeat workout in which I was able to run quite a bit faster than I thought I would. My mileage this winter has also has been the highest I've run since college--I've averaged about 52 miles per week since Christmas.

So, though I'm not really sure what I'll be able to do, I'll go ahead and set my traditional A, B, and C goals.

A. Finish the race in under 22 minutes. This would be at a 5:30 pace or faster. A steep goal, but based on my 800m repeats the other day, I don't think it's out of the question.

B. Finish under 22:30.

C. Finish under 23 minutes.

I'm hoping for a good race today. The last thing I have to do is choose the shoes. I'm either going to run in my Saucony Virrata 2, or the Merrel Bare Access Ultra. The Merrel is a little lighter and I like the firmer feel, but the Virrata is a little more comfortable. It might come down to a race time decision.

Happy Running!

No comments: