Friday, January 4, 2013

2013: It's Goal Time

I love social media. Reading people's comments about how they hate it that people use January 1 to make resolutions, when they could do it any other day, makes me smile. I got news for the New Year's Resolution Haters: some people like to make resolutions on January 1. There's something nice about a new year. It feels like a fresh start, a do-over, a time to kick bad habits and start good ones.

Does it annoy me that it's harder to find a treadmill at the YMCA this time of year? Sure. Is it unfortunate that many people's resolutions don't last? Of course. Anyone who wants to make some positive changes and finds the replacing of the wall calendar a good time to make changes, great! New Year's Resolutions haters gonna hate, I'm gonna set some goals.

Last year I did 12 goals for 2012, making it much easier to write my year-in-review post. This year I'm just going to go with an arbitrary number. Also, this year I'd like to go out on a limb and ask people to comment with one or more of their goals. I've never asked for comments on this blog before, mainly because I wasn't sure my ego could withstand how few comments there would be. Now, however, I'm OK if only a few people read this blog--I mainly write it to clear things out of my head, and I appreciate anyone who does take the time to read it.

Goal 1:
Rehab the heck out of my left leg. Yesterday I got to run for the first time in two months. I saw the doctor and the physical therapist and they gave me the go ahead, but it's going to be slow. I'm starting with 30 minutes at 9 minutes walk, 1 minute run, three times. I'm also doing lots of glute and core strength, which brings me to:

Goal 2:
Do at least 3 sessions of core and balance work a week until April, then maintain at 2 sessions a week. I'll be doing the laundry on my abs by May.

Goal 3:
PR in the 5k. This one might be tough, depending how the rehab goes, but it should be doable by the fall if I can't get it done in the spring.

Goal 4:
PR in the 10 mile. This one'll be tougher, but why not?

Goal 5:
Break 1 hour in the Rochesterfest Sprint Triathlon. I didn't drown last year, so why not PR by 4+ minutes this year?

Goal 6:
Successfully help several runners meet their goals. I like writing training plans, reading about running, researching, and answering questions, so I hope some of these things can be helpful to others this year.

Goal 7:
Publish at least two more articles, and submit two to a major publication. Hang rejection letters on the wall.  

That should do it for 2013 goals. It's not as many as last year, but it should be enough. If you'd like to leave a comment with one of your goals, I'd appreciate it. It doesn't have to be a running or workout goal. Feel free to put your goal on the Facebook link if you came from there.

Happy Running!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. I like the idea of having a fresh start and setting goals for myself. I know I might not be able to reach them for unforeseen circumstances, but I think it is healthy to set goals and work to accomplish them. One of my non-related running goals is to work on living in the present and not the past or future. Honestly I am having a hard time picking running-related goals. Maybe I'll have to do a blog post about why. Glad to hear you got the okay to run.

Stephanie J said...

1. Find a job and apartment in St. Louis.

2. Not worry about finding said things.

3. Break 2:20:00 for the half-marathon.

4. Don't give up on running after the half.

5. Run on 4 continents.

Seth said...

0. Go snowshoeing or skating twice a week while the weather is cold.
1. Start running again.
2. Bike to work 50% of the days starting in May.
3. See how many running distances I can do within 1.4x Nate's PR times.