Friday, January 27, 2012

Securian Winter Run

After running outdoors last night, looking awesome with my Eddie Bauer headlamp and neon green TC 10 mile shirt, I got up early this morning to get another outdoor run in. Most of my running has been on the treadmill and my mileage has been way down. I have, however, been swimming and doing core exercises, something I haven't done consistently since starting my second running life in 2009. I figured I better run outside a little before trying to race a half marathon in freezing temperatures.

I had a decent one mile race on this low mileage, higher intensity nonsense, but it remains to be seen how I can do at a longer distance. Enter the Securian Frozen Half Marathon. I guess they're calling it "The Securian Winter Run" now, probably because last year it was a short course so they don't want to go and confuse people with an awesome name. I mean, can't you hear it? FROZEN HALF MARATHON! How tough does that sound?

But I digress. I didn't run it last year, but I did run it in 2010 when it also did not live up to its namesake because the temperature was 34 degrees (that's above freezing). Now, two years after my last "frozen" half marathon, I'm ready to try it again. I don't know whether or not it will be an accurate course, but I've been assured that it will be frozen. I know the race management company does a nice job and that it wasn't really their fault the course was short last year, so I'm looking forward to a nice cold race. Or a nice and cold race if the race is nice but the cold is not.

Laura's not around to proofread for me tonight so this one's probably got some orthographic infelicities. Have a nice weekend!

No comments: