Friday, November 18, 2011

Post 101!

That's right, this is post number 101. Sure, I could have celebrated post 100, but palindromic numbers suit me better.

These last 100 posts have been fun. I don't know what I was aiming for when I started this blog. I knew I liked writing and had just gotten back into running. I was working a reasonably stress-free job that allowed me some time to read lots of running information online. While searching for reviews on Garmin Forerunners I ran into a hilarious blog called Half Fast, which lead me to Feet Meet Street, which lead me to Running Off at the Mind (see the right side bar if these are sounding interesting).

Having read many blog posts on many blogs along with forum posts on Runner's World, many online and print articles from Running Times magazine, approximately three-and-a-half running books, and the side of several running shoe boxes, it was time to add my voice to the fray.

And now, in honor of my 101st post, this voice is going to tell the story of how Jared and I tricked our wives into running a 5k:

Back in July of 2010, Laura and I were going to go camping at Minneopa State Park with some friends. Unfortunately there were tornadoes, thunderstorms, and flooding in the Mankato area that day. As we drove through torrential downpour, retina-searing lightning, and post-bending wind, Laura continued to insist that we'd still be able to camp.

Instead of setting up camp in an inch-and-a-half of water, we ended up staying the night with Brittany's parents' house in Good Thunder. Their power was out so it was sort of like camping. We stayed up fairly late eating, drinking, and talking. The next morning, however, Jared and I were up early to run the Pioneer Indian 5k. Laura and Brittany were still in bed while Jared and I hatched an evil plan to get them up to run the race.

"Laura," I said, as I gently shook her awake. "Brittany's waiting for you to warm up for the 5k."

Meanwhile, in another bedroom, Jared was saying the same thing to Brittany. It wasn't until they were up and dressed in their running gear that they realized our diabolical, though admittedly genius, scheme. At that point they had no choice: they bowed to our superior intellects and ran the 5k.



The photo above shows a subtle, yet noticeable look in both Brit's and Laura's eyes--the unmistakeable malaise of the vanquished foe. Not only did Jared and I beat them on the race course--we also beat them in an admittedly unfair battle of the wits.


Thanks to everyone who reads my blog. Have a wonderful weekend of running!

No comments: