Sunday, March 1, 2020

Defining Success


A while back I read a Twitter post that said, “What is your definition of SUCCESS?” It got me thinking.

There are a myriad of ways I would define success. Some are subjective such as being a loving father and husband or staying emotionally balanced.  Others are more objective like achieving items on my to-do list, running a certain amount of miles, or running a certain time in a race.

Staying balanced means I'm free from bipolar symptoms or that I have a handle on them. It's hard to quantify, but it's one of those things I'll know if I see it. I've been fortunate enough that I'm pretty self-aware of my bipolar symptoms, so I can tell when I'm feeling balanced and when I'm not.

Fortunately, in the past few years, my symptoms of bipolar have been much better. Taking a dialectic behavioral therapy class where I learned skills to manage my illness and seeing a a therapist who helps me decide on which skills to use and how to use them has been very helpful. Of course, medication is also key, and I see a good doctor who helps make adjustments when needed.

As for the to do list, most of it has become mental. With a new baby in the house, I'll definitely keep the list manageable and not get down on myself when I don't get as much done as I think I should.

How about you? What's your definition of success?

No comments: